Monday, May 13, 2013

How to Transfer Vinyl WITHOUT Transfer Paper!

It's time to get ready for summer....and vinyl is the newest "in" thing!  I craft on a budget...and vinyl transfer paper is expensive!  I knew there had to be an alternative to using it...and there is!  Painter's Tape is the answer!  I have that stuff all over my house between my own projects and the other half's.

Here is my "Drink Tub" and a step-by-step Tutorial on how to use it :)

Step 1:  Cut Your Vinyl

Step 2:  Cover the vinyl with the painter's tape (be sure to leave a small area outside of the tape, this makes it easier to get the tape off)


Step 3: Peel the backing off of the vinyl so that it looks like the photo below.


Step 4:  Place the vinyl where and on what you like.  I am labeling my drink tub for summer BBQ's.

Step 5:  Carefully peel the tape off of the vinyl.  I started with an area of tape that was not attached to the actual vinyl.  Be careful to encourage the vinyl to stay while the tape comes off.  If you move too fast or are not careful, the vinyl will not stay.

Step 6:  Awe in the wonder if your great craftiness!!


Don't forget to have fun!!

~Brandie

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I've just spent a fortune on vinyl and didn't want to spend even more on transfer paper. You're a life saver. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you found this just in time!! Little life hacks can save us all a little headache and a little money :)

      Delete
    2. This is a *really late* reply, but since I just found this thread via pinterest/google, I figured other people may as well.

      I use transparent contact paper from the Dollar Tree. It's $1 for a roll that is 18" x 54", and it works really well, with the added advantage of still being able to see your design so you can line it up better.

      Delete
  2. Just got my first sihlouette cameo 3 and am so excited to be figuring it out, but didn't even know about vinyl transfer paper. Luckily I found your link first!! Thank you! You saved me time, headache and money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I am so glad that this was helpful! I also have a Cameo now and I LOVE LOVE it! Subscribe as I am going to be adding a lot of fun ideas in the near future!

      Delete
  3. Thank you SOOO much for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Masking tape works well too and it's slightly easier to see through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This worked perfectly!! Especially when putting vinyl on a material that might tear or get damaged easily. I was putting vinyl on some particle board and wasn't sure if the extremely sticky transfer paper would damage it, so I used your tip. Worked like a charm! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brillant! It works for cardstock too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What if I draw my own design. How would I go about uses the paper you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I found this 8 years late and you're still a lifesaver

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got my Cricut maker and I’m trying to figure out how to make a decal for my car without transfer tape

    ReplyDelete